1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2.5 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 21 muffin cups with liners and then, lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Beat the butter, applesauce, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs to the large mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the vanilla and the buttermilk, mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl stir together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).
- In three batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Do not over mix - mix just long enough to combine.
- Add the zucchini and the chocolate chips. mixing until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Let cool in the muffin tin for 3 minutes and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.