- A positive attitude - you have to believe in yourself and want to do this before you challenge yourself. Write your goal down, announce it to family and friends, post it on Facebook and above all, make the promise to yourself.
- Support system - there may be days that you just. don't. want. to go for a walk/run, you need your friends and family to push you out the door, to do the dishes so you do not make excuses, to say "good job"! Join a 5k training group (we have them at the Y), find a group for beginners on Facebook or MyFitnessPal for motivation and inspiration.
- Well-fitting running shoes - you do not have to spend a lot of money, but get fit for a new pair of running shoes. Your local running shops will fit you for free and you do not have to buy a pair of shoes right then and there, but pay attention to why the shoes they choose fits the best. A good pair of running shoes will prevent injury. (We will review this topic in greater depth in a couple weeks on this blog.)
- Music - create a playlist of songs you only listen to you when you run, so it is a great treat for your ears! Not into music? What about a podcast? It can be health focused, faith focused, the most recent celebrity gossip or even a way to study as you run.
- A plan - If you join a 5k training group at the Y you will be provided with a training plan, but if you decide to go it alone, there are many plans available online. Here is an example.
Welcome to the Official Site of The Y in Central Maryland Turkey Trot Charity 5K! We are excited to have you join us for this Thanksgiving morning tradition.
Adults, children and families from across the region come together to not only run (or walk, jog, stroll), but to raise funds so that children living in poverty in Central Maryland have access to Y programs that will forever shape their lives.
Thank you for being part of something good on Thanksgiving Morning!